For lovers of history
Originally the property of the Counts of Clermont, the forest entered the "crown lands of France", thereby becoming a royal forest, under King Philip II Augustus in 1218.
Centuries later, following the French Revolution, 300 hectares belonging to the Froidmont Abbey were incorporated by the state forest.
After having been carved up at the beginning of the 20th century, the woods were progressively bought back by the French water and forestry service between 1921 and 1931.
Did you know ?
Dating from the 15th century, Château Saint-Louis was destroyed several times during the 18th century and the Second World War. Today, almost nothing remains of this edifice. The municipal pond welcomes walkers and anglers.
The Froidmont Abbey, today lying within the municipality of Hermes, was founded in 1134 by Abbot Valeran of Ourscamp. The abbey was originally named Sainte-Marie-de-Trie, after the Trie Brook, a tributary to the Thérain River, arising in the Bresles Marshes. The vestiges of the old barn were listed as a historic monument in 1995.
Notre-Dame de la Nativité Church, located in La Neuville-en-Hez, was listed as a historic monument in 1927. Saint-Lucien Church, situated in La Rue-Saint-Pierre, was added to this distinguished list in 1943.
The Méridienne verte ("Green Meridian"), the Paris Meridian bisecting France from north to south, passes through the eastern portion of the forest (at 2°20‘14.025»E).
The Saint-Lucien Oak (2°19‘07 49°22‘20) was named after Saint Lucien, evangelist of the Beauvaisis. Pagan tree cults were common in pre-Christian times, and the early Church integrated such pagan traditions by naming these trees after saints in order to convert the masses.
The Saint-Louis Oak (2°19‘17 49°23‘52) was named after King Louis IX, who often stayed at La Neuville Castle.